→ 11 Jun 12 at 1 pm
Spinach and Chard Souffle
Source - http://www.janssushibar.com/?p=13830
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed and finely chopped
- 4 ounces fresh Swiss chard, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 1-quart soufflé or casserole dish.
- Melt the ghee in a large skillet over medium low heat. Stir in the tapioca flour until smooth and bubbling. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Gradually add the coconut milk and water, stirring constantly. When the mixture has thickened, remove from heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg.
- Whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot onion/coconut milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper them. Scrape the egg mixture back into the skillet; add the spinach and Swiss chard and stir well to combine.
- In a large metal or glass mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks have formed. Gently fold into the spinach/chard mixture in the skillet.
- Pour into the prepared soufflé dish; set into a large pan then add hot water to a depth of about 1 inch. Bake for 60 minutes; the top will be golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 184 calories, 15.6g total fat, 113.3mg cholesterol, 446.3mg sodium, 282.4mg potassium, 7.8g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, <1g sugar, 4.7g protein